Saturday, October 9, 2010

Bowery Eats: pop-up sandwich shack!

Frencheese Sandwich: Bowerey Eats (notice the watercress forest)
Alright, so it wasn't really a pop-up shack, but its a hidden jewel of Chelsea Market known only by workers on their lunch break... Bowery Eats located inside Bowery Kitchen Supply! Amidst plates, wine glasses, and cheese graters, Bowery Eats a lunch-only hotspot serving sandwiches, wraps, and salads! Needless to say it was quite an experience... The store itself is cluttered from wall to wall with kitchen supplies, and the food counter is squeezed in near the back of the store. All of the sandwiches sounded delicious, but I finally decided on the "Frencheese" sandwich-- there were four different types of cheese on this thing (brie, morbier, and two others I'm blanking on at the moment) with cucumbers, pickles, watercress, and dijon on a white baguette. Ultimately, the sandwich and a drink cost me $10, which isn't horrible (and the sandwich was huge! I saved half of mine for later :) )! Here's what I thought:

What I liked: The cheese. You could put four kinds of cheese on anything and it would be infinitely better than it was before. The pickles/cucumbers added a really nice crunch to the sandwich that I didn't expect. I also really like that you can pick your bread for the sandwich and even make it into a wrap!

What I didn't like: The dijon mustard was very potent, and I often got bites of the sandwich that were wayyy too mustardy... Also, there was a small forest of watercress on my sandwich, which kind of detracted from the sandwich overall (not because it made it taste bad but it was just annoying and I ended up having to take it off and rearrange my sandwich contents multiple times). Finally, this was a cheese sandwich. No meat, some veggies, four different kinds of cheese. That being said, I wrongly assumed that my cheese sandwich would be toasted in some way. It wasn't. I put the cheesey bottom of the bread in the microwave to melt it, which did help, but I wish it had been melted in the first place. Sigh.

Overall, I liked the sandwich, but I wasn't in love. I'm not counting Bowery Eats out yet, as maybe I just didn't pick one of their best sandwiches. I've heard nothing but good things from others so I'm definitely willing to give them another chance.

My overall rating: 6 out of 10. I would maybe trade one tino's sandwich for it. Maybe.

Thanks to my fellow intern Andrea for the suggestion!

1 comment: